May 11, 2010

Spring Cleaning

Recently I had the good fortune of finding a lady on Craigslist who was moving to California and needed to de-stash her yarn. She used to work at a local yarn store and was selling all her skeins for $1. Needless to say, I was the first person to hit the sale when it opened. I have an obsession with quality yarns and this sale did not disappoint. I wanted to buy everything she had (which was easily 5 full large boxes) but I had to control myself and only purchase what I could see myself knitting in the near future. There are several felting projects on my list, so I was in the market for some good wool. If I was in Vegas, I would have hit the jackpot! Among the fabulous items I found was Cascade 220 (every knitters staple), a large cone of hand spun wool, and unopened pack of Berroco Cotton Twist and a variety of others. In all I got 2 cones and 18 skeins for $21! I did the math when I got back to work and the retail value of all the yarn totals around $120. Not too shabby!




Now what’s a girl to do with all this yarn? My stash was already overflowing, and I know my husband is sick of seeing the bags of yarn just sitting in the corner of our living room. I needed to organize, and I needed to do it quick. Coincidentally, I had to make a run to Target that evening, and I came across this great cube organizer. We have a wall in our living room that has been pretty bare since we moved in, and this would be the perfect thing to fill that space. So, two days later I dragged Josh (my husband) to Target and we loaded it up in the Suburban and had it set up 2 hours later.






I'm loving how it also doubles as a bookcase. My yarn has never been so organized! I still have a some overflow yarn to deal with, but this definitely works for now. So now I'm happy and so is the hubby.